Sunday, September 27, 2015

September Update: Now back for more stories!

It’s been some time since I’ve blogged, so here are a few updates from the road.  My plan today is to upload a few blogs, centered on recent events in my life and abroad.

The new spot. Living Room.
First off, some changes have occurred since last time I wrote.  I went to the States for the summer, then came back to Bangkok with a few plans for a life update.  Previously, I was living in Sammakorn Village, which I loved.  It was a delightful suburb, with all the amenities I ever needed.  The problem?  It took me at least an hour to get into the city and see my other young friends.  I made the decision to move into the city, to a place where the commute to school and the commute into the city would be minimal and painless. 

Thus, here I am in Udom Suk.  It is towards the end of the line on the BTS, where the school bus comes and goes, and full of local city life.  I’ve got a neat little condo which my cat is attempting to slowly destroy… probably because she knows she’s not allowed in there.  Already my couch and my wallpapered walls show the signs of my deposit vanishing.

Kitchen. Still missing some key ingredients, but surviving.
However, I love the atmosphere there.  The condo is nice, the security guards are helpful, and the place is cozy.  It’s been beneficial to down-size my things and my space.  The security guards have already helped me acquire take out from at least three different restaurants. 

Plus, it now takes me just a few minutes to get into the city and see whatever my friends are up to.  I can meet up with them with a moment’s notice and not worry about the long taxi journey home.  This is freeing for me, an opportunity to get to know the city and live in a large place.

Bedroom. Mosquito net because no screens.
As a country girl, my first few weeks in the city were quite overwhelming, and I’m just now starting to get accustomed to the different energy of city life.  I would leave my house and be overwhelmed by the noise and the smells and the heat, barely able to function.  Yesterday, though, I cleaned the house before heading off to see a film at another BTS stop.  Today, I found myself a cat café to relax in while I wrote the blogs.

Sometimes I need to convince myself to travel in my own neighborhood, particularly when I am working as hard as I have been.  So, I’ve made it a plan to try to visit every cat café in Bangkok as a way to see some of the city and enjoy one of my favorite bits of Asia.

Today was Cataholic Cat Café.

My cat, not a cataholic cat.
I left the house in the morning to get coffee at the shop near the BTS, with the most delightful latte I’ve had in recent memory.  I walked a bit further to where I typically get noodle soup for breakfast, though they were closed, so I found another joint.  I ordered my noodles, poorly, because my Thai is still remedial, and found myself with a bowl of bean sprouts instead of noodles.

A little bit more travel and walking, and here I am, enjoying the quiet atmosphere of this little café with all the cats inside.  I’m learning to love this city, and every quiet place helps me love it a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment