Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A New Adventure

In November, I decided to leave Bangkok.  I was getting the itchy feet that comes with traveling, and felt far too comfortable in SE Asia.

I looked for work and I found a job.... in Moscow.  I'll be a K-12 Librarian with a second librarian at a school, working in a pseudo-public library setting.

I'm terrified and thrilled and expecting mad absurdity.


So, here's what I know of Russia at this moment:


This video is from the Stop a Douchebag Movement, which has a delightfully entertaining YouTube channel.  They get together as a group, and prevent drivers from riding on the sidewalk through force of will.  They also help police poor parkers, those that block traffic for their own selfish reasons.  They start with kind words: "Please move your car. Think of the other people." Then, if the driver doesn't agree, they put giant stickers on the windshield that say something like "I'm a douchebag, I drive where I please."  At times, there is violence. At times, placid acceptance. 




I envision this type of cold.  In this video from a cold place (not Russia, probably), this man is taking boiling water and spraying it into the cold, cold -25 degree chill.  This image I saw on Imgur. I hope it is this sunny.  


Then, there's Putin.  I'm hoping to get a sweet Putin calendar with images such as these.  I hear that the Russian men are the stereotypically manly type, with all their machismo.  According to one of my European friends, Putin has done a great job at running his economy into the ground, which is unfortunate.  He also like Trump, which says something. 



Russia isn't without its share of human rights issues.  This video is called "I Can't Breathe" by Pussy Riot, a group that advocates for rights for GLBT humans with their punk rock music.  This particular video is in response to the Eric Garner murder by the police in New York City, a call to arms against state sponsored violence.

There's also some absurd things, like this video (from Uzbekistan).  I have no idea why this video was made, or who made it, or why this woman is deciding to be somewhat unclothed.  I know only that Russia (and Uzbekistan) is absurd, and will likely continue to be absurd with every passing moment. 

So.
Let's focus more on the point.  Here are some things that I'm worried about:

1.  According to the climate chart for Moscow, the average temperature in the summer months is between 60-75 degrees F.  Meanwhile, here in Bangkok, it's about 80 degrees outside, and I'm wearing a cardigan.  Granted, it doesn't appear to get as cold as in Iowa, with temps dipping down below zero, but it still looks chilly. 

2.  More than climate, though, I worry about sunshine.  Here in the tropics, the difference between the sunrise and sunset times throughout the year change about 20 minutes or so.  In winter, aka now, the sun is rising at about 6:40, and my routine is already thrown off a bit because I'm not waking with the sunshine.  I'm moving into the dark.  I'm going to invest in one of these things: a wake up light.  To make sure that I can have some sunlight in my life. 



3. Russian language appears a bit challenging.  I'm practicing and getting a bit better, but it does have a rhythm that I'm struggling to hear and interpret.  I'll be learning as much as I can in preparation; knowing some of the language really makes a difference. 


4. and 5. The cold. The dark. The cold, and the dark.

Let's not get too caught up with that negativity though.

Here are some things that I'm excited about:

1. I will be just a few hours away from all of Europe. And Norway and Sweden and Finland, and the 'Stans.  My flight time back home will have been halved to 13 hours, with a mostly direct flight.  My travel possibilities are endless, particularly since I've seen so much of the SE Asia part of the planet. 

2.  Culture: Opera at the Bolshoi Theatre, Ballet.  Sweeping symphonies of Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev in the home of their birth.  Hockey like in my favorite movie, Miracle. 



3.  A whole new world.  Russia will be a culture shock, and I'll be learning how to live in an entirely different place.  New foods, new people, new everything.

4.  A really fantastic school.  This cannot be understated.  I'm thrilled to be working for an Embassy school in Moscow, with staff programs and benefits that will be spectacular for my future career path.  They have staff activities and trips so I can explore all around the Russian culture. 

5.  I'll get to break out my sock collection.

6.  Guys: look at this.


Seriously.  Crazy and cool. 

Now, I just need to buy some warm things, make sure all the layers are present, and acquire my light up alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment