Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pac Pac Pac Pac Woman

I have narrowed down everything to two suitcases, a duffel bag, a backpack, and a cat.

My mom was interested in going to my grandmother's this morning, so I was gently encouraged to have all my things packed in order to prepare.  It was very positive, because I was able to sort through some things from the past and make sure I had everything in order.

I was about to say that my whole life was in those two suitcases.  Though, it isn't.  I'm trying to live a simple life, a life without distraction, and this is the first start to that.  In my suitcases, I have some clothes, some shoes (size 11 shoes in BKK are not going to be located), and a few other essentials from home.  Not very many things, honestly.  I have a hula hoop.  I have a bread cutter, some deodorant, my cross stitch.  Rizza's scratching post, some earrings, lip balm.  Not much.  There were some things I intentionally didn't bring: DVDs, my Wii, general technology things.  I'm aching for a simple life, and I have this opportunity to go back to this life where simple, effective living is the norm.

I'm wary of all the things I need to buy: furniture, kitchenware, bedding... even though I know it won't be a struggle.  It will be such a cost that I don't want to front, especially since I just sold up all my other possessions: furniture, bed, mattress, etc etc etc.  I wouldn't say that I have an attachment to the stuff, but I felt lucky with the things that I had been able to put in my home.  I'm getting to a certain point in my life where I'm feeling an exhaustion with moving.  Honestly, it makes sense.  I just brought my possessions over to Iowa in my car, from a house I'd only been in for 6 months.  Before that, I'd lived in a house for 6 months, and before that, another house for a year.  And this is all just in Pittsburgh... before that I brought my life back from Cambodia and started fresh in the very difficult US of A.  Here I am, going back and starting fresh again, and I'm somewhat ready to settle for a moment.

It will be a fresh new adventure when I arrive on Tuesday.  It will be a brisk transition, from start to finish.  And I'm trying to think of the things that I want to focus on for my home once I arrive.

1. A bed.  And pillows.  And sheets.

2.  A table. A tall one that I can use for a desk, a dining table, a little bit of everything.

3.  A hammock.

4.  Kitchen wares.  I need to cook the foods.

That's simple, that's good.  That's a quiet home and a simple life.

No comments:

Post a Comment