Saturday, October 11, 2014

On Birthdays

I haven't had a great birthday in such a long time.  Last year, I can't remember what I was doing, but I don't think it was wonderful.  I think I was with people who didn't quite appreciate me.  I worked on my birthday.  Worked both jobs that I had, in fact.  That's, of course, only some, but it wasn't a great experience.  One of my good friends came to visit me and brought me a rich chocolate cake, though I couldn't relax enough to enjoy it.  The year before was similar, in a new city and unsure how to create my path.  This year, there is no way I could complain.

I enjoyed two little kid birthday parties on opposite ends of the week.  The first was Aisha's, Kim's little girl, who threw a beautiful pink pony themed event.  Just now, I'm back from an Egyptian themed kid party, where I was holding a newborn and enjoying the energy of this very awesome family that I am now friends with.  I also had the opportunity to go out with some of the other new teachers for a Mexican dinner (and a margarita), and they put candles in the brownie that I blew out.  I received cards from my family, beautiful cards.  A card from my mother put in me tears.  She said she was so proud of me for going to a far away land and thriving there.  The card from my grandmother also put a tear in my eye.  She said my adventures were like a Bob Hope and Bing Crosby movie.

I feel so lucky to be where I am today.  I feel blessed at the people that I have in my life, and the times that I'm already enjoying despite being in this village for such a short time.  I think that this work and this place will be great for me.

I miss my family.  I miss the sailboat in Pella, and the Wilson's pizza, and grandma's Sunday dinners.  I miss Aaron, and my friends in Pittsburgh, and the life that I finally carved out of that world.  I miss many things.

But, my birthday was a very positive one.  It has been a long while since I've had such a beautiful birthday.  My lotus is blooming.  My garden looks positively amazing.  And, I'm going to Cambodia in a short time to see all the people that I love from my old home.

Oh!  On my actual brithday, I went to get a Thai massage from the awesome ladies who trade me Thai phrases for English ones.  I had a birthday burger at the local cool kids joint and was mistaken for a 24 year old.  Oddly enough, I also got mistaken for a 35 year old at school the same day.... something about being tall and confident in my work and my school life.  I can't help but laugh at being mistaken for different ages 10 years apart.  I can only say that the massage must have taken 10 years of stress from my back.

I live a blessed life.

Thank you all for every moment that your life intersected with my own.  I'm a better human with every interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment