Monday, October 20, 2014

Garden 2.0

I made this because I was thinking of my Grandmother's
house, her porch, and morning coffee with her and mom.
I was worried about my plants.

I found evidence of insects, and Google told me I needed to act fast or risk my whole garden.  They were little red monsters trying their best to kill my water plants.... my lotus, my water lillies, my green circle plant thing, all of the aquatic plants.

I also had something of a sun problem.  Yes, I know, it's Thailand and the equator is right next door.  But, there was this one strip in my garden where I kept the full sun and desert plants.... and they were still just dry all the time, more dry than they should have been.

There was an added worry about time and energy.  This week was crazy busy, and I just didn't have the time or the energy to spend in my garden.  Plus, leaving for Cambodia gave me limited time to worry about these things.

I waited until I saw my man at the weekend market, the wonderful man that I owe the majority of my garden to.  I bought some insect killer from him, soil, all the things of garden tending.  I maybe bought a few more plants as well (I have a problem!!).

Then, I went to go pick up a package at the post office.  It took me about an hour to get all the steps together to get there.  I biked up to the road, caught the special truck to the wat, grabbed a moto to the post office, and did the whole thing in reverse with a giant box.  So exhausted from the sun, I stopped at my favorite coffee shop for a pick me up scone and coffee.

I saw an umbrella.  I wanted an umbrella.  I asked for an umbrella.

Before shot.  SUNSHINE OF DEATH ALL DAY.
I got three umbrellas.

Well, I found the umbrellas in the back of the shop and asked Kang (like Kangaroo) if he wanted to sell them.  He refused to take any of my money.  Apparently, he was hoping for more space, and I helped clear out some of the old things that he just didn't want to get rid of.  They came back on my bike, because I'm brave or stupid or both.

Then, I hung them on my roof, which again.... brave or stupid, I'm not sure.  It involved a lot of me standing on the white wall.  Balance.


Then, plant man came over and helped me repot a bunch of plants, because they had coconut husks instead of soil in them.  This means that they get very very dry easily.  He must have spent 45 minutes with me, helping me repot plants and gardening with me.  Gosh, this dude is nice.  Best part?  He heard the song "Rock and Roll" on my shuffle and said, "Oh, Led Zeppelin, I like them."

Garden 2.0 is complete.


Awesome, though, huh?

All the plants found new homes based on their needs.

Side wall.

After gardening for 7 hours (or so), I had a nice mark on my forehead from pushing my glasses up.

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is beautiful. And I love the umbrellas. You are the master of your garden ....

    “The master of the garden is the one who waters it, trims the branches, plants the seeds, and pulls the weeds. If you merely stroll through the garden, you are but an acolyte.”
    ― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

    ReplyDelete