Saturday, November 1, 2014

Oops

I’m mind-boggled at how much I’ve fucked up this week.   I’m writing at the airport, completely disgusted at myself and just annoyed at the (very preventable) mistakes that I’ve made.

Biggest one: My flight was meant to be yesterday.  How I’ve lived with such a lack of awareness is beyond me.  Did it start when I booked my flight?  When I checked again yesterday?  How on earth did I miss something as simple as the day, I’m not sure.

I may have left my ATM card from Bangkok in an ATM, because it has gone and disappeared.  I’ll have to visit the bank tomorrow (or Monday) to cancel the old and get the new.  That’s annoying, and was completely preventable.  How did I do this?  How.

I bought a new suitcase in the Reap and couldn’t open it.  One of the reasons I brought this suitcase was because I was supposed to check a bag in my original plan (which was derailed when I realized that the day I showed up at the airport was one day later than it should have been). 

In other news, I made a mistake.  And I’ve learned my lesson, really.  There are things that I need to be more stressed and careful about, and that will happen more now.  Honestly, I got lucky, very lucky this time.

I was almost too late catching my flight from Bangkok because I misjudged the time.  I got lucky there, passing through every step of the process with a breeze.  I got lucky in the fact that no one has taken my money from the debit card that I haven’t been able to cancel yet.  I’m lucky that the replacement fee is minimal and simple.  I’m lucky that I was able to get a seat on this here flight and that I had the funds available to pay for it.  It was honestly incredibly reasonable.  I’m counting my blessings and taking this opportunity to reflect on my travel practices with the knowledge that things could have been so so so much worse.  Oh, and the lady let me through with scissors in my (supposed to be checked) bag because I couldn’t open it.  She said, “you have scissors?”  And I said, “of course I don’t have scissors.”  And then I remembered that I got some free scissors with the Buddha cross stitch that I purchased. 

I’m getting derailed.  I’m super happy right now. 

Like, ecstatic. 

 I started this blog out with having some troubles and some difficulties, but I’m happy with my response to them.  I’m thrilled that I’ve had a full week with my friend Sarah, that I was recognized by a multitude of people in the big SR.  I’m so happy that I had the time I had in Sway.  I had G&Ts with Jan, coffee with the Coffeeman, and a host of my favorite dishes from home. 

I couldn’t be happier.  I had a brilliant break, and I’m thrilled that even with these little difficulties, I’m dealing in such an adult way.  I noticed my ATM card was gone in Sway and had a moment of panic before getting out a second, equally useful, card to use instead.  I have money in more than one place, like an adult.  I checked my card information, saw that it hadn’t been touched, and thanked my lucky stars.  I noticed my flight details, kicked myself for a minute, and am now writing out the discomfort that I feel for my own ineptitude.  I had my moment, solved the problem, and am now on the way to my home. 

I had such a phenomenal holiday, though.  It was relaxing, starting with some swimming at the pool and ending with some nachos and beers at (Sarah’s) home.  Throughout the week, there was all sorts of visiting.  I saw Vannak and Pheakdey, some old coworkers.  I saw all my JPA kids, doing spectacular things with their schoolwork.  The kids that I taught a few years back in my trial by fire grade one teaching are doing incredibly well.  I’m proud that I had a hand in their education.  I am proud that I was able to keep them on the track that they were on and not allow their English and their phonics to slip.  I was always so worried for them, and I am well aware that they are in great hands and going great places.  Their brief interlude with a non-phonics teacher didn’t damage them. 

(Side bar: there are some blond tourists in front of me on the plane engaging in an inappropriate amount of PDA.)

I saw a bunch of people that I had little interactions with throughout my time.  I saw the lady who sold fabric in the market (she sold me a skirt, despite my lack of desire to buy a skirt…. She’s really persuasive.)  I saw my old tailor, the woman who made the majority of the clothes currently in my wardrobe right now.  I saw a couple of friends that I used to hang out with all the time given their bar right around the corner from my house.  Jacob and Carsten are a Danish couple who own a bar that they are currently renovating.  Cats…. Cats everywhere.  They are some certified cat lovers.

I spent, of course, lots of time with Sarah and her lovely boy Max.  Sophal and I ate some breakfast a few days and I was able to see the very astute Chinese businessman who owns the place I ate all the breakfast in. 


Honestly, I couldn’t have asked for a better trip.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy this ended on a happy note. When you mis-interpret and mis-judge and mis-place things ... this is the universe telling you things. Like maybe focus and relax...reach a place of balance. These are only signs from the universe telling you to be mindful ... do not be too hard on yourself, which is very easy to do ... just relax, breathe, thank the universe for small signs (sometimes they send you really big signs if you ignore the little ones) and then soothe yourself with something warm and friendly.

    HUGS! --Missy

    ReplyDelete