Sunday, August 14, 2016

My New Home

Moscow is fantastic.  Simply wonderful.

I got into the SVO airport last week, on Wednesday, and was met at the airport by a new colleague, who was shocked at how fast I got through and that I had my luggage.  In fact, when I went down from Passport Control (in the diplomatic line), my bags were already there on the carousel, and I chased them with my cart.  Even going through customs, I likely should have been stopped with the cat, but I forgot, and we sailed through without incident.

It's a massive airport, overwhelming.  All of the Russian was washing over me, with a family in front of me in line and behind me in line speaking to one another.  As I exited, the taxi drivers were speaking to me fully in Russian, and I had no clue what anyone was talking about.

We found the school car that was to take us back to the apartment, and I somehow managed to make small talk despite the long travel time and the weariness in my bones.  My colleague had brought her son, a tenth (or eleventh) grader as a helper as well.

I was brought to my complex, and we sorted out the keys to find out which door and apartment I was in, and squeezed as much of my 50 pound luggage, two carry-ons, cat, and humans that we could manage before the beeps indicated that that was enough.  Up we went, to the place.  I walked in not knowing what to expect, not knowing what would be in front of me.  There is an outdated video online about the apartments, but with the multitude of complexes and the variety of setups, there is no way to know what you will come into.

According to the others (and me), this place is pretty incredible.  I spent more than a few minutes just blown away, thinking I had won the life lottery.  In fact, with every passing day, I believe more and more that I have completely won.  Disclaimer for family and friends: This place requires a personalized key card to get into the gate, a code/fob for the door to the building, and a key for the apartment.  I feel utterly secure in every way.

The first thing you see as you walk in, an entry way. 
Other side of the entryway. Note the freestanding heater.
Living Room (the most empty)

Living Room 2 (with the balcony)

Kitchen!

Fruit purchased from a street vendor. So, so good.

View out the window (to the school bus stop)

More view out the window.
Bathroom, obviously.
Laundry room off bathroom with storage.
Fun fact: The washer is in French, the dryer in Swedish.

Office, with cat model included.

Bedroom, with east facing window.
View from the office and bedroom, as they are on the same wall.


1 comment: