Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Small Surprises

I must admit, I have many things to write and less time than I need to write them.  However, I was asked a question today at a girls' evening that I must write more on.

The question: What has surprised you about Moscow?

This place is full of endless surprises, if I'm honest.  There will be many in my years here, for certain.  For right now, at the end of this long and lovely day, here are my answers.

- The people are friendly, smiling, helpful, and forgiving of the stupid mistakes that my next blog will explore.
- My house has a towel warmer, a dish rack in the cupboard above the sink, and windows that open two ways.
- There is sun, and it makes a beautiful city.
- The city is safe, super safe, and alive at all hours.
- It can rain for more than 15 hours in a row (and not flood).
- The school community is amazingly diverse.
- I look Russian (yet to be determined).
- The sidewalks are made for walking: wide, pedestrian friendly, and everywhere.
- The metro (every metro line) comes every 2 minutes.  Without fail.  And the system is easy.
- Things are easy here, so easy.
- There are fruits and vegetables.
- (Once more for mom) This city is safe, so safe. Walking around, there are zero threats.

I'm thrilled to be here.  I know it won't always be easy, but I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy! I love this part of exploring the new host countr!

    ReplyDelete