Thursday, August 18, 2016

The First Few Days: Shopping/Restaurants

I have been using Duolingo to learn Russian for the last couple of months.

My lessons have not prepared me to shop at the grocery store.

At all.

Or to eat at a restaurant.

At all.

My first free evening, I went to the small grocery store around the corner to look around and see what was available.  I picked out a few green apples, a card, and a cup of yogurt, a pretty cheap order.  I went to the cashier to check out, and was asked a series of questions that I responded to with the blank stare of confusion.  There was a woman behind me in line who giggled at this, and at the ineptitude that comes with a new culture.  In fact, she paid for her bottle of water with just coins, while I utilized the money in my special envelope from the school to pay, which appeared to upset the woman behind the counter.

Then, I learned.

They were asking me if I wanted to buy a bag, because free bags at the grocery only exist at the fanciest store.  They were also probably asking me for some smaller money because the bill I paid with was considerably too large.  In fact, our orientation team told us that they get fussy, which... sounded pretty accurate.

At the restaurant, there are many water options that are not available in the America (or in Thailand).  You ask for water, and they ask if you want "gas or no gas".  Now, the first couple of times I heard this, I giggled like a middle schooler.  But it is actually part of the Russian description for sparkling water, or still water, which in fact is what they are asking.  There are also varieties of questions about wanting cold or normal water.  This is quite a boon for me; I dislike ice in my water, and I've finally found a place where this is typical and easy.

We've also noticed that there is wonderful service here, that your table gets cleared as soon as you are finished, and that you can sit and drink coffee as long as you wish.  However, this often also means that once your plate is gone, your server is also.  This has presented a curious change from the States.

I remind you that none of this was on Duolingo (and I'm a quarter of the way through the lessons).

Next up, I think I need to learn numbers and how to ask about price.

Yesterday, I went to buy some fruit from a local seller that sells out of the back of his car near the train station.  They've had these beautiful raspberries, peaches, apples, as well as a new fruit... a white melon.

So, I went up to him, and pretended to know all the Russian, utilizing the few words that I knew in a masterful way. Please allow me to sum up the conversation in a dramatic fashion:

Me: Hello.

Him: Hello. [па-русски and much more that I didn't grasp]

Me: (points at apricots with a smile).

Him: Yes! [price that I can't understand plus something about how the nectarines are also delicious]

Me: Yes! Good! Two, please. (with my fingers up). (points at apricots and puts three fingers up)

Him: Yes! [something about how I should choose them?]

I choose them, with his help.  Then he chooses some, and shows them to me.

Him: ... Apples ... (Duolingo had this word).

Me: Good?

Him: (takes an apple, cuts a piece out of it, and offers it to me).

Me: Good! (swooning from the delicious apple, puts 5 fingers up).

Him: (fills a bag with apples for me, weighs it). Three hundred and [unclear]

Me: (counts out 300 from the wallet, and gives it over)

Him: and [unclear]

Me: (gives another 50)

Him: [unclear]

Me: (gives another 50)

Him: (gives me a few coins of change)

Me: Thank you! I don't understand! (with laughter)

Him: You do understand!

Me: Thank you!

Him: Merci!

Apparently, I look Russian and French.  Someone also asked me for directions (a Russian) on the way home.  This is some home I have acquired.  But, look at my yummy delicious fruit purchases! Note: This was a previous fruit purchase.  I've already destroyed the current one for an evening staff picnic on the front lawn.




No comments:

Post a Comment