Saturday, September 24, 2016

Goal Update: Food Preparation

In an effort to work on two of my goals, learning to cook and eat the healthiest, I have taken some steps.

I have purchased a few things for my kitchen (since all my things have arrived, and my kitchen still has not all the things.

1. A hand blender and food processor combo, which helps me make soup.
2. A multi-cooker, which I still don't know how to use.
3. A kitchen scale, because I had a recipe that required a weight that I didn't know.
4. A grill pan, because eggplant needs grilled.

I have so far created the following things in my kitchen:

1. Soup with zucchini, peppers, and carrots.
2. Roasted pumpkin soup.
3. Some version of ratatouille.
4. Ravioli.
5. Broccoli (in a pan)
6. Spinach (in a pan)

Pumpkin soup!

Carroty Veggie Soup!

Frozen Ratatouille!

A Fridge Full of Veg!


The goal is to have a bunch of healthy food stocked up in the freezer for some nice dinners, and it is working!  I have more than two weeks of food in my freezer, and a whole bunch of really nice green food in my fridge.

There is the added benefit of the mind stretch in cooking abroad.  My brain is trying to convert units and measurements, which isn't always the easiest thing.  There's the added challenge of finding what I need with the translator app on my phone, and utilizing the help of the ladies in the grocery store.  I feel like an explorer.

I know many of my friends and family aren't going to believe me... but... I'm kind of getting into this. Today, I'm excited that I'm going to cook.  I'm trying to cook eggplant in three different ways today.  Plus, with all of this, I'm losing weight and I feel healthy.  I also notice that the kitchen (and therefore my home) warms up quite a bit with the cooking, especially since they haven't turned the heat on.  And, I smelled the spice cabinet... and it reminds me of mom's house.

1 comment: