Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Oven

I have made an amazing achievement.  I have learned to use my oven.

This may not sound like the most thrilling thing, but let me express some of the things that happened in order to make this happen.  I may also add that this is one of my goals, and this is evidence of progress.  More to come on that later. 

This is my oven:

Exhibit 1: Oven
It is a gas oven, which is something I have never encountered.

I have, on the left, a dial and a button that I thought was a flame button.  Given that I turn the dial and click the flame button for the burners, I thought that this was the case.  However, no.  This dial is more for heat, and the button just starts the gas. 

So, I'm consulting with my boyfriend, Pierre, because he is European and probably has encountered an oven such as this.  May I add that he was very useful in helping me learn how my dryer worked.

First, I wonder to myself how I even make this work, especially without blowing myself up in a fiery gas burning death. 

I try to turn the dial, I click the button.  I click the other button.  I wait. I look. I listen. 

Turning on the gas dial does nothing, I notice.  I hear nothing. No sounds of gas, no anything.  This is a good sign. 

Exhibit 2: Dial, Button.

I consult with Pierre, who recognizes the dial as something about the heat.  There is a measurement where you multiply this by some number to acquire a temperature in Celsius.  I disregard this information until it is more useful.

I look inside the oven, to see if there is an easy place to light the oven. 

Exhibit 3: Oven Innards.

The holes in the front are just too small for a lighter, and I actually only have a small lighter at this time.  So, this wasn't going to work.  I take a moment to re-read information shared over Facebook from the new people, because I know that I am not the only person with this issue. 

Then, I move the bottom tray, which slides out quite easily. 

Exhibit 4: The "Aha" Moment.
I see where the gas comes out.  I see the flame marks.  I see everything.

I notice that pushing the button near the dial means that I hear the sound of gas, and that is confirmed with the view that I currently have. 

I know what I need to do.

It was time for me to take my life in my hands and light the gas oven.  With a lighter: a small, normal lighter.

I click the button, hold it down, and slowly move the lighter closer to the area.  With a whoosh, it lights up.  After a brief moment of celebration, I lift up on the button to survey the handiwork.

The flame... dies.

I think to myself, perhaps I need to press it longer. 

So, I press the button again, bringing the lighter to the tube, holding the button longer and longer.  I light the tube, it whooshes up.  I wait, holding the button.

The flame dies again.

Exhibit 4: Just... stay.... please.
I do it again. I press the gas button, light the tube, reach with my foot to close the window (just in case), hold the button, put the tray back in (for flame protection), hold the button more, and after a few minutes, release.

Success.

SUCCESS!

And now, this:

Exhibit 5: Roasting Pumpkins
So far, I have roasted carrots and pumpkins in this oven.  With many more things to come.

I am progressing with my goals to create food in my kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment