Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bills Bills Bills

This is my new mailbox.
I got a new mailbox.

On Sunday, I put up my new mailbox, with the hopes that I would get some of the mail that has, in theory, been sitting in the post for the better part of the last month.  My old mailbox was rusty and let in all this water when it rained, so I figured that the mail may not want to come and stay.  Hence, new mailbox.

In the spirit of Thai culture, I also put some flowers on my new mailbox to encourage the spirits of the mail to bring me some.  They have these beautiful garlands of flowers, with jasmine and marigolds and roses all together.

I did get mail.

In fact, the first day, I got the water bill.  It was 76 baht, about.... $2.50.

On the second day, I got the electricity bill.  That one was more pricey... 467 baht, or $14.50.
These are more flowers.

On the third day, I got a letter!  From my grandmother.  Oh, and also a bill for the internet.  The next 6 months will be about 3400 baht, or $115 dollars.  That works out to be about $20 a month.

I also pay a village fee, for garbage and street lights and cleaning and things, of about $25 a month.

That means that the grand total of utilities that I pay, for reasonable use of all the things in my home.... is $60.

$60 for my utilities.  $415 for my rent.

Life.... is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment