Monday, September 15, 2014

The Thrills of Public Transportation

I had a pretty packed weekend.  I can tell that I'm getting more settled here, because I'm thinking more clearly about my goals and the smaller details that I was so overwhelmed with before.  I'm more relaxed, I'm happier.  Things are obviously better, though of course not perfect.

I thought I would try to use the bus system.  The big benefit, of course, is cash.  Taking the bus cost me only 22 baht, about 60 cents.  A taxi of the same ride would be more like 150-180, $5-$6.  I did my recon, going to watch the buses to see which ones passed by most frequently, then tracking down the maps on the web.  The site is actually incredibly clear.

But, I didn't know what to expect.

I didn't take this picture, but you needed an image of
 Thai bus lady and her special stick.
Saturday morning rolled around, and I had my noodles at my place in the market, acquired a spare set of clothes since I was having dinner with a work friend, and gathered my book to go.

When you get on a Thai bus, there is no waiting.  They barely stop at the bus stop for you to get on, and it feels like there is little time to spare.  You go find your seat, and a woman (usually severe looking, in a uniform) comes over to take your money.  It's amazing, their short term memory for the people.  She asks where you're going, then takes your money for her special stick.  She uses the hard edges of the stick to tear the tickets and carry the coins.  They are always extremely colorful, these sticks.

Onward.  I sat and read my book, looking up and watching the scenery so I could find out where I was and where I could go on this bus.  It's the 514.  I went past the nearby mall, which has a cinema, so that's a great thing.  I went past the HomePro (Home Depot) and the Big C (Supermarket) and a whole lot of more boring city things.

Two hours later....

.... I finally made it to my destination, which was the city center.  The time went quickly, but I took note.  I saw an alternative that I will try this weekend.  The Siam Paragon complex used to be this grand place that I loved going to visit.  It is a giant mall in a complex of other giant malls.  Top floor, cinema with IMAX.  I saw Inception there... wowza.  Next to that, a book store.  Ground floor is nothing but food, every food.  You can see the appeal I'm sure.  We used to go and just stay all day.  Food to cinema to bookstore to snack.

Now, I'm not so convinced.  It didn't help that my tummy was slightly upset and I was h-angry.  I went to the Mexican food place, which has good tacos.  I went upstairs and found myself unable to operate the ticket machine without assistance.  Seriously, I have a Master's degree and I can't figure out a kiosk in a move theatre.  Sigh.

I saw Lucy.  After the 15 minutes of previews, an odd mix of Thai and English and adverts, and the King's anthem... for which we stand to pay homage... it was on.  I enjoyed it, but, meh.  I tried to enjoy the giant book store as well, but that was futile as well.  I just can't enjoy the mega malls.  I don't like anything about them.  I got so overwhelmed I just left and found my way down the BTS (skytrain) line to a bookstore that was meant to be good, full of used books.  After I went the wrong direction, tried to ask a moto driver (unsuccessfully) to take me there, I finally made it.

$30 in books later, I ended up at Ms Milichu's house, for dinner.

Paella, bread, Spanish ham...

She's an incredible person that I will devote an entire post to....  let's just say I stayed there from 7-2 in the morning.  It wasn't because I was bored.  She's 76, and her house is full of treasures.

Sunday brought me a picture printing place and a house full of images.
I also bought a mailbox with the hopes that my long lost mail would be happier to appear in a fancy box.
I weeded and cleaned up my plants for a solid half hour.
HomePro (Home Depot) brought me no less than 10 incidents of charades, a very confused "English-speaker," and several employees staring at me in horror, hoping I didn't approach them.

Life, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment