Sunday, September 7, 2014

Goal Check

I've just finished looking over my finances today, which reminded me that it may be time to check in with the goals and how things are going.

  • Learn Thoughtfully and Consistently
  • Be Mindful
  • Organize a Life of Photos
  • Find the Joy of Cooking
  • Save Every Extra Baht

Learn Consistently.
It's going well.  I've started reading again, about all sorts of topics, and I feel like I'm gaining knowledge about my job and the things that I should be working with.  The learning for work is going extremely well, and I'm having the start of a plan to become a bigger part of the IB world.  In this case, that means becoming a presenter for the IB conference on libraries.  I would run workshops in this part of the world on IB librarianship and how it would look in various schools and various ways.

I'm going to keep reading and keep learning about work, and improve myself and my knowledge in every way I can.  Progress.

Be Mindful.
I give myself half points.  I think I'm observing things around me, but I feel rude as a person who doesn't speak Thai.  I find myself impolite from time to time, and I am working to change that.  I do feel like I observe everything always, but in this I have a ways to go yet.  It helps when I blog.  It would help more to find some exercise that would be effective for me here.

Photos.
My MacBook Pro should be ready in a week or so, and then I will begin.  I may consider borrowing Kim's scanner, or buying one of my own, as soon as those photos show up.  Tabled.

Cooking.
Eating I've got down, but this... Hm.  Not yet begun.

Save Every Extra Baht.
It's really rough to start fresh, but as I looked over my finances today, I had a lot of hope.  My necessary expenses are minimal, my salary is good, and I predict that I'll be able to save about $2000 every month, for use in my emergency fund, retirement, travel fund, and student loans.  I'll update more on that later in the month; I'm missing the first few bills that will give me an indication of how much I'll be spending from month to month.  However, things look very promising.

Adding one more:
Add positive habits.
Aaron laughs at me for saying this, but he is a really big inspiration to me.  I've begun doing things in my home for myself, for the goal of improving my adult ability to live, and also with the notion that I want to live with him.  I admire his way of life, and am going to continue instilling in myself some new habits that will benefit our life together, and me as a human.  I've started doing the following things with that in mind.  

I make my bed in the morning.
I go to sleep with a clean sink, no dishes inside.
I iron my clothes in the morning.
I wake up earlier than necessary and straighten things up.
I end the day with books, not screens.

For every positive habit I add, I feel better about myself and my ability to add positive things to my life.  Because of that, I feel more positive about living with another human who is so very good at adding positive things to his life, because of his discipline.  I admire him.  I seek to have the same discipline.  I will work to have the same discipline.


No comments:

Post a Comment