Saturday, August 30, 2014

An Alternate Universe

View from the morning.  I find that windows have a
big impact on me.
I feel as though I've entered an alternate universe.  At this exact moment, I'm sitting on a hanging chair, lounging outside on one of the most peaceful porches I've ever seen.  I'm listening to the sounds of nature, a whole cacophony of noises: frogs and insects and the things one hears in some tropical rain-forest.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to this IB retreat, a school event that takes all of the grade 12's to Khao Yai, to a resort outside the national park.  The purpose is to give the students a dedicated space and place to kick off this intensive year by presenting the work that they've done on their extended essays, a 4,000 word paper due in February.  I was invited by chance I think, to get a feel for the research that the students need to do within the next few months.  I heard several presentations today, and the work is going to be intense and interesting.  I am using the time to get to know the kids a bit better as well, because that's how good teachers operate.

I have never seen this honeycomb set up before.
We've also had some time for fun, though.  Part of the fun here is relaxing in this peaceful atmosphere.  It's a massive place, a sprawling complex full of beauty.  There is no place to turn where you aren't looking at something green and naturally gorgeous.  There's a view of the mountains and the lake from where breakfast is served.  You could get lost in the pathways from place to place... and the pool is phenomenal.  Salt water, massive.  It's stunning, the whole place.

There's also the food.  We've had these delicious Thai dishes every meal, with a variety of flavors.  They finish with cut mango and fresh fruit, and rivers of tea.  I can't say enough about it.  The breakfast... well, anyone who knows me knows my affinity for breakfast food.  There was an entire room devoted to it, which of course I went to early given the circumstances.  There was even a whole honeycomb that dripped into a dish.

Can't go wrong with a place that has cats roaming.
I learned later that there was also a mini-zoo, which turns out was an odd collection of creatures.  One deer, among chickens and peacocks.  Some goats... with peacocks.  Some ducks... with other odd ducks.  It was hilarious to see the menagerie that they had created.  Plus.  There was a man who helped out there, who had some sunflower seeds (and later corn) that he fed these beautiful birds with.  Then, he gave me some seeds and the birds came onto my hand!  Words couldn't express how overjoyed I was.  I was smiling like a mad fool.  I kept walking and found some gardens, which was equally awesome.  I may have to go back tomorrow to get a plant for my garden.  They were really inexpensive plants.  Curious given the fact that it's near a five star hotel thing.

Posers.
I also had a massage, which turned into something of a Thai lesson, with this funny Thai ladies trying to teach this silly white girl some phrases.  It also is getting to the end (and very dramatic part) of GoT Book 5, so I was exclaiming at the kindle and getting some good laughs from the ladies that way as well.

I have to take a moment and acknowledge this place that I'm in.  Just a few weeks ago I was stressing every moment about money, unable to sleep for the worry I had.  And here I am, in this fancy place, playing like I have hundred of dollars for hotel rooms every night.  It really makes me think about this life that I live, and the places that I can go with this school.  I'm grateful that I've had this opportunity, and hopefully will have it for more years to come.  It's such a step outside the bounds that I've experienced.  It's such a different life from the different ones I've led over the years.  I wonder about its impact with the simple life that I'm aiming for as well.  This weekend, I haven't turned on the television, or had telephone service.  I read my book.  I ate my food and talked.  It's been simple.  Very simple.  Though this life is very different, very privileged.  I'm unfamiliar with it all, still taking it all in.
The JOY. These birds have got a fine day of food.

I had another thought as well today.  I was watching these student presentations, about everything from a natural curing tree to Korean film to Devil Wears Prada.  There were so many topics that I had such minuscule background information on.  I thought to myself that I needed to read more, and more often, to pick up some of the slack the summer has left on my brain.  There are things I need more experience with, and books can bring me there.  Reading opens those doors, and I need them all wide now.  I'm nearly finished with Game of Thrones, and then.... all doors are open for more reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment