Friday, August 22, 2014

TBIF

Thank Buddha it's Friday.

I got home today, and I decided to go on an adventure.  I was quite tired, but I wanted to knock some things off of my to do list and I was feeling motivated to go out into the world.  Fun fact about overseas living: this isn't always the case.  Sometimes, the idea of leaving the house is so abhorrent to you, for a number of reasons.  I was just talking to a coworker about this today.  Her husband came over with her, and he's having a rough time adjusting to the variety of difficult factors here.  So, he spends his time at home on the computer or reading books.  There were some days I felt the same.

Luckily, today was not one of those days.  I have a TON of stuff to do this weekend, and it was great to get a head start on a long afternoon.

I started at the post office.

Mission: Stamps.

The lady was moderately nice, but unfortunately, I can't buy stamps for overseas mail without weighing it.  This frustrated me given I'll have to go there anytime I want to send a letter.  And I want to send many letters.  Either way, I bought some postcard stamps in case I ever locate a postcard to buy (Meem, I'm still thinking of you) and some Thai mail stamps as well.  Maybe I'll get lucky enough to discover some friends I want to send mail to over here.  Side note... I need to learn Thai.

Post office: Moderate Success.

Onward to the Big C, the Wally World of East Bangkok.

Mission: Bicycle.

This boss basket makes me feel
like a kindergartner with a Radio
Flyer.
It may have helped that I began the trip with a tiny dipped ice cream cone from DQ.  There's one on the bottom floor of the Big C complex, and I indulged because... Friday.  Up I went, and over to the bike area.  There's a huge set up of bicycles in every size, so I saunter up and find the absolute largest on in the Thai stlye.  I find two that I like, a purple one, and a light blue one.  There aren't very many choices as far as model, just a couple color choices and different wheels.  I notice that they are classified as "24" and see a chart in the back that's similar to a height chart.  It's all in Thai, so I can't read a lick of it, but I see the correlation and go and stand near to the chart, noticing that I'm a "26" because I'm so damn tall.

Hm. Well.

I look around hoping to find a Big C employee.  I'd be interested to know how many people they employ at any given time.  There seems to constantly be a large set of very bored salespeople in the electronics aisle, and generally just a huge crew of folks walking about aimlessly.  I search for a person, and find a couple of guys who deal with my lack of Thai for about 3 minutes before sending me off with another dude.  This guy, though, was lovely.  I asked if they and this “26” and I am quite sure he said no.  So, he took the “24” bike that I had, fixed the seat to go up, moved the handlebars, and let me ride around the bike area.  It was hilarious!  He showed me to the bike locks (I’m getting really good at charades) and even, somehow, arranged for delivery.  For free.  Oh, and he called me Sir a bunch, which made me smile.

My attempts to figure out what
we were celebrating with this giant
bear were unsuccessful.
I’m the proud new owner of a purple bike.  I also used this sweet cart to find some incense, mosquito coils, and speakers.  And, I was lucky enough to see a giant bear walking around and getting cheered on by pretty ladies with signs.  I had no clue what was happening.

Big C: Extremely successful.

I drove then to the bank.

Mission: Transfer funds.
Bank: Unsuccessful.  Account not found.

I walked to get some pakora broccoli. 
Mission Unsuccessful.

But then I saw (I think) a crocodile in the lake.  I went home and lit incense and nested.  And now, I'm about to sleep at around 9:30 because this week took it out of me.  Tomorrow is a medical check up for school and hopefully some plant buying.  Plus, my bicycle should arrive.

Friday: Mission Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment