Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Today I had a violent introduction to rainy season.  Well, perhaps a re-introduction may be more accurate.  I was in Cambodia during the floods two years back, where the entire city shut down for the better part of a month; school was cancelled for 6 weeks because the whole place had fish swimming about in it.  There were some rapids raging right outside my house, near my driveway.  It was hell to get around, dirty water swirling at every moment.  I barely left the house.

The very definition of inefficiency.
Kim and I were driving home today around 5, watching the clouds roll in all black and green.  I told him that if I would have been in Iowa watching those clouds, I would have been worried about a tornado.  About half way home, it started sprinkling.  A little bit farther and it poured, rained cats and dogs, dumped every bit of the water on us.  We were driving home at a fraction of the speed we usually go because it was just that dangerous.

Then we reached Sammakorn, our village.

The traffic at the head of the road was way worse than usual, barely moving, and I began to wonder what was happening.  Then I see a car with water up to the headlights trying to pull some sort of turning maneuver in the middle of the road.  We had to drive quite a way through the village, with water up to our own headlights the majority of the way.  It was slightly terrifying, because we both wondered if his car would survive.  This is some serious water.  It's all through the village, too, as I found when I came home.  Through every street, I had to pedal through water that touched my feet as I rode.

The light's bad, but... you can see the reflection of a house
on the street.
I realized as well when I got inside that some of the water got in through my (always) open windows.  It decided to soak the Ikea bed, a bid of the sofa, and some of the floor.  I don't really have a solution for that, though the fan is on it.

Plus, my fern blew over.

What a storm.  Kim kept saying that it wasn't normal, wasn't normal.  My contexts say that it sure happens, like the traffic he keeps mentioning is so abnormal and yet happens daily at this point.  However, this does seem a bit out of character.  It WAS hard, intense, rainy season rain for at least an hour, maybe more like two.

I suppose I should shut that window sometimes.

It's only water, though.  It will dry up.  I hope it doesn't smell too bad though.

No comments:

Post a Comment