Saturday, August 9, 2014

General Update

It has been a week since I've posted.  I do believe that many things have happened, and more things are going to be happening shortly.

On Monday, the 4th, I began orientation with the other new teachers for two days.  I was still living at the hotel/apartment at the time, because my friend had not yet returned from Italy.  We were working on basic introductions to the new curriculum that we are accessing, the culture of the school, general updates about taxes and insurance.

On Wednesday, the 6th, returning teachers began orientation as well.  It was focused more on the school wide plan and goals for the year.  We met in subjects, in grade levels, talking and collaborating with thoughts of the students in mind.  We also had a huge party with champagne and sushi to celebrate the beginning of the year.

Following the party, I was able to move in with Kim, which was very nice.  Rizza is getting along well and I feel so comfortable in the house.  It is gorgeous, full of hardwood and beautifully simple.  The whole house is windows and screens.  I strive to live this simply as well.  There's not even a couch, just some cushions that we can lay on and then put away to look like decoration.  There is art everywhere, pictures, and a small Buddha on a table.  It is a place that I will look at as I decorate my own small home.

Thursday and Friday were more meetings, more food, more happiness.  More learning.  And, of course, in true teacher culture, on Friday afternoon a few of us went out for a glass of wine at a restaurant in Mega Bangna.  It was a delightful time.

This weekend, I'm relaxing, perhaps shopping a bit, and preparing for my big move on Monday.  Well, the leasing agent thinks Tuesday, but I'm really hoping Monday.  I'm very excited to unpack and find my own space.  It will be lovely to find some habits, to settle, to put things on hangers.  I will be able to find some serenity and some calm in my own location and space.  It's been nice to hop around, but I've been travelling and in limbo for so many weeks now that I'm finding it a challenge to buckle down and focus.  I very much want to focus, and I think that having something in my life well settled will be the way.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment